Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tune of the Month
Thought I would try again with the Forum. How about this one for June.

Alexandria Reel  

Hope you like it.

I cannot find any recordings of it on YouTube!!! Sad

Alcluith

Attached Files
.pdf   Alexandria Reel.pdf (Size: 219.08 KB / Downloads: 2)
Looks like an interesting tune, Drew.  The title fascinates me - a reel but in 6/8 time!  Maybe this will catch on!

Thanks for posting the notation.

John
(07-06-2018, 11:21 PM)John Kelly Wrote: Looks like an interesting tune, Drew.  The title fascinates me - a reel but in 6/8 time!  Maybe this will catch on!

John

Hi John

Yes a strange one, I found it by accident I was looking for tunes that would suit being played around the Vale of Leven area by the Alexandria Mandolin Club,  it said composed by Andrew Rankine. I am not sure if I have it 100% but I quite liked the tune so  started to learn it.  There is a dance called the Alexandria Reel  but I am not sure the two tie up together.

Drew
(08-06-2018, 07:47 AM)Alcluith Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 11:21 PM)John Kelly Wrote: Looks like an interesting tune, Drew.  The title fascinates me - a reel but in 6/8 time!  Maybe this will catch on!

John

Hi John

Yes a strange one, I found it by accident I was looking for tunes that would suit being played around the Vale of Leven area by the Alexandria Mandolin Club,  it said composed by Andrew Rankine. I am not sure if I have it 100% but I quite liked the tune so  started to learn it.  There is a dance called the Alexandria Reel  but I am not sure the two tie up together.

Drew
Hi John,

I was able to purchase a copy of  the Complete Andrew Rankine Collection  which the Alexandria Reel is one, the jig was by Aberdeen dance teacher John Dewry. I forgot that Andrew also composed the popular tune, Angus Macleod. 
I have  tabed a few of his tunes and added to a PDF which I thought you and others might find interesting.

cheers 
Drew

Attached Files
.pdf   Andrew Rankine Tunes.pdf (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 2)