Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixter Maxter 13 in East Lothian
Mixter Maxter 13, Saturday October 5th, 2019

Mixter Maxter 13 is heading to pastures new: the village of Spott, near Dunbar, on Saturday 5th October 2019. Spott is 30 miles east of Edinburgh. The idea is for everyone simply to enjoy playing music in a friendly and supportive atmosphere.

All the tunes and songs in the workshop have a theme, which this time is "East Lothian". The sets are given below, and the music can be downloaded from this page.

The Canongate Twitch/Kelly's Bar (Jimmy Moir)
The High Road runs through the East Lothian village of Spott and by the parish church and the community hall (formerly the school and where we are today). Past the church, the High Road becomes the Canongate. Going the other way, past the Spott Village Hall, down St John Road on the right, is Kelly’s Bar (although I’m not sure it’s still there). Of course, the tunes above are not actually local; Canongate Twitch is for the better known Edinburgh thoroughfare, while Kelly’s Bar was composed for a Glasgow hostelry.

The Witches Song (Matt McGinn)
The Sallow Carlin/The Witches Jig/An Untidy Witch

East Lothian was one of the areas in Scotland prolific in persecuting witches, and the parish of Spott had more than its fair share of witchcraft accusations, with the resulting executions taking place in Spott Loan. Several witches were killed there  in 1705, the last to take place in Scotland. There is a nearby Witches Stone which commemorates the burning of Marion Lillie, the Ringwoody Witch, in 1698. 

The Spott Waltz (Nigel Gatherer)
The Haggies o' Dunbar/Dunbar Castle (Neil Grant)

Dunbar Castle is now in ruins, but it is thought to have existed before the 7th century (its Brythonic name, dyn barr, means ‘the fort of the point’). It was pulled down in 1567 by act of the Scottish Parliament.

Sir Hew Dalrymple's/Miss Dalrymple's Jig (both by Robert Macintosh)

Sir Hew Dalrymple (1746-1800) was the Member of Parliament for Haddingtonshire for six years from 1780, and succeeded to the baronetcy in 1790. He married his cousin Janet, with whom he had eight sons and four daughters, one of whom, we can surmise, is the subject of the second tune. Both tunes were composed by Robert “Red Rob” Macintosh (1745-1807). 

The Spott Hornpipe

Actually, the tune I found was called The Spot Hornpipe, but it was too tempting to include it in the tunes to be played in Spott village!

If you wish to attend the workshop, full details are given on my website, or you can ask me any questions here or by email.