Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tune for Tune of the Month
How about a new tune for "Tune of the Month".
Mandolin Cafe does "Tune of the Week" but I guess if we can keep "Tune of the Month" going it may open discussion between all Forum members.

I nominate the very nice tune by, our long time Forum member, John Kelly  -  Birdfeeder Waltz.

Tabs Attached - enjoy

Alcluith  Big Grin

Attached Files
.pdf   The Birdfeeder Waltz(with mandolin TAB).pdf (Size: 52.26 KB / Downloads: 1)
Wow, Drew, I feel humbled by your gesture and admire your efforts to keep the forum here alive.  I originally posted the tune on the MC site back in December and it seemed to take off from there, with members voting it choice of the week on the SAW group for week #455.  There is standard notation over on the MC site too - I added the TAB at the request of one of the members.

There are lots of great versions over on the Cafe site in the Social Groups section.  Here is a link to the one I posted:

Birdfeeder Waltz

Thanks,

John
(22-03-2018, 10:58 AM)John Kelly Wrote: Wow, Drew, I feel humbled by your gesture and admire your efforts to keep the forum here alive.  I originally posted the tune on the MC site back in December and it seemed to take off from there, with members voting it choice of the week on the SAW group for week #455.  There is standard notation over on the MC site too - I added the TAB at the request of one of the members.

There are lots of great versions over on the Cafe site in the Social Groups section.  Here is a link to the one I posted:

Birdfeeder Waltz

Thanks,

John

Hi John,
Yes I seen the post and listened to the various versions I have just about got the first part but not quite got the second part then I need to get the lilt but I love how it bounces along.

I just loved it when i heard it. There has been quite a few of your versions of tunes on YouTube but given this was your own composition I felt it needed more exposure. 

cheers

Drew
Thanks.

I'll have a go at this tune myself.

Just one thing though.....  "Tune of the Month" may be a bit restrictive as we may wish to post some more often. I'm not really a composer but I have several favourites which I feel should get a wider appreciation and, on the old site, I posted a few of those from time to time.

Also, I think the "Tune of the Month(used to be week) was originally devised for Nigel's own postings although he hasn't submitted too much of late.

However, members posting tunes themselves IS a good idea but maybe we could start a separate thread or section for this purpose?
(25-03-2018, 12:07 PM)JAJ Wrote: Thanks.

Just one thing though.....  "Tune of the Month" may be a bit restrictive as we may wish to post some more often. I'm not really a composer but I have several favourites which I feel should get a wider appreciation and, on the old site, I posted a few of those from time to time.

Also, I think the "Tune of the Month(used to be week) was originally devised for Nigel's own postings although he hasn't submitted too much of late.

However, members posting tunes themselves IS a good idea but maybe we could start a separate thread or section for this purpose?

JAJ

Yes I would even think "tunes you like to play" or I have been thinking about tunes to use to make a set, so maybe even "Favourite sets" 

cheers

Drew
Wink 
(25-03-2018, 07:53 PM)Alcluith Wrote:

JAJ

Yes I would even think "tunes you like to play" or I have been thinking about tunes to use to make a set, so maybe even "Favourite sets" 

cheers

Drew

At the risk of sounding facetious, Drew, maybe we should resurrect the old Simon and garfunkel hit "The Sounds of Silence"?  [Image: wink.png]
(12-04-2018, 01:11 PM)John Kelly Wrote:
(25-03-2018, 07:53 PM)Alcluith Wrote:

JAJ

cheers

Drew

At the risk of sounding facetious, Drew, maybe we should resurrect the old Simon and garfunkel hit "The Sounds of Silence"?  [Image: wink.png]

Hi John,

I have been thinking this myself, it feel its like flogging a dead horse.  I stopped posting to see if anything would happen but like you I am getting used to the "Sound of Silence" so not sure if it is worth pursuing.

I have been trying to find a good UK based forum for Scottish Irish Music but the ones in the UK are not very active. I have signed up for a few American based ones but again most of the posts are USA related and ofter theydo not get it right. 

cheers  
Drew