Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neil McMillan of Balmaha
Here's a nice tune which I've also just submitted over at The Session.

I may have already posted here on the old site but I can't remember.

It's a great "pipey" jig which doesn’t seem to get played too often.

I’m not sure who composed the tune but it was written for a "weel kent" musician on the fiddle and accordion scene from Balmaha.
Neil is also a member of Freeland Barbour’s ceilidh band The Occasionals.

Attached Files
.pdf   Neil McMillan Of Balmaha.pdf (Size: 25.26 KB / Downloads: 8)
(29-04-2018, 09:10 AM)JAJ Wrote: Here's a nice tune which I've also just submitted over at The Session.

I may have already posted here on the old site but I can't remember.

It's a great "pipey" jig which doesn’t seem to get played too often.

I’m not sure who composed the tune but it was written for a "weel kent" musician on the fiddle and accordion scene from Balmaha.
Neil is also a member of Freeland Barbour’s ceilidh band The Occasionals.

JAJ

Do you have a recording of it or a link to it that  you could share?

cheers

Drew
Hi Drew,

I've tried to attach an MP3 of the East Lothian Fiddlers playing this tune but the attachment isn't accepted. I'll try to work something out.
Thanks for the tune, JAJ.  Not one I knew before your posting of it, but a great tune which looks like it could be a good 6/8 march too.  I have not heard any version of it, so just going by your pdf.

John
Hi John,

I think it's supposed to played as pipe march actually but either/or.... I play it along with Farewell to the Tay...again a march but it's got a "jiggy" feel too. I tend not to play them too fast either way.

I have a recording as mentioned above from the ELF who include myself in their number. You can't have everything. Smile
However, this site doesn't seem to accept sound file attachments.
(01-05-2018, 09:59 PM)JAJ Wrote: Hi John,

I think it's supposed to played as pipe march actually but either/or.... I play it along with Farewell to the Tay...again a march but it's got a "jiggy" feel too. I tend not to play them too fast either way.

I have a recording as mentioned above from the ELF who include myself in their number. You can't have everything. Smile
However, this site doesn't seem to accept sound file attachments.

Thanks, JAJ.  I have noticed this too and the only way seems to be to post the file on somewhere like Dropbox or other storage facility then post a link to that url here.  I think it might be a bandwidth thing, or just that Nigel would need to have a much bigger storage capacity on the site to handle soundfiles, even mp3s, and more storage is very costly.  When I had my own site running a few years ago I took to Soundcloud as a way of getting my soundfiles readily available without taking up too much storage on the site.  The idea was to let people hear what the instruments I was building sounded like.
Thanks.

I have a Drop Box Account. Presumably, there'll be a way to just make a link to this particular tune file without allowing access to all my documents?
I'll try to sort this out.